Friday 2 January 2009

Song Covers

Let's face it, practically every one who ever was in band has done a cover song. Even the Beatles did it!! And nowadays it seems as if everyone is doing it! You'd be forgiven to think that artists are running out of inspiration for new material.

But hey, doing a cover isn't such a bad thing... Because it can be very good!
My opinion is, a musician doing a cover should follow some very simple rules.
First learn the song well, respect it and don't just "busk" it.
Second if you don't intend to play it like it is, then you must either add to it in some sense, or play it in a different way.

In the 10 years or so I played in bands, the question of what covers and how to do them , was indeed one of the most difficult. After all, as they say opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one...

In part due to my involvement in playing them, cover songs are actually a favorite musical interest of mine. And I have an extensive collection. On the subject of respecting a song, I remember I used to think of certain songs as being "untouchable" cover wise. That no band should ever attempt them. I am not so sure about that anymore. One of the songs I would have considered "untouchable" would have been "Stairway to Heaven". The reasons being, who could hope to match that voice, who could hope to match that playing and well we are talking about the song which is arguably the best rock song ever!!!

And then Dolly Parton comes along and gives it the bluegrass treatment. Whenever I hear it my hair stands on end...! Because she has respected it and given it something of her own and then some!

Have a listen:



Wow!
Dolly Rocks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...