Monday 5 January 2009

The loneliest number...

In my experience there are two different ways I can "fall in love" with a song. Just like in real life relationships a song either "grows" on you, or you fall suddenly, madly "in love"...

This second has happened a handful of times over the years, and usually the result has been a long lasting intense "relationship". These are the songs that rock me to my soul, the songs that make me dream of being a singer, so that I can sing them...

Here are as many as I can remember off hand:

Hard to handle - The Black Crowes
Try a little tenderness - The Commitments
Have a little faith - The Bellrays
My boyfriend's back - The Spazzys
The Ship song - Nick Cave
Stairway to heaven - Dolly Parton
I got a Stomach ache - Buddy Guy
Let's work together - The Climax Blues Band
and many more...

To this list another has been added, just a few days ago. I heard it, of course in an advertisement. Thank god for the internet and lyrics searches! I discovered the song is by a band called Three Dog Night. I had never even heard of them... of course I discovered I actually did have a song by them, on the Forrest Gump soundtrack. It is not unusual for someone nowadays to have more music than he can keep track of, but to have never heard of Three Dog Night? Another quick search showed me that they have been around for 4 decades! Now I was really amazed... and they have written hits like "Mama told me not to come"!
I know I am certainly not the worlds most knowledgeable music fan, far from it actually, but i do enjoy a certain fame in my family circle of knowing about some pretty obscure musical facts...
Yet this band eluded me.
Anyway the song I am talking about, or rather RAVING about, is "One". It is the one that says" one is the loneliest number..."

Here they are in all their 1969 glory...



And I still cannot believe i had never heard of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...