Sunday 4 January 2009

The Jazz Rock Club and my first obituary...

I'll start with the bad news and go from there. I just heard that Jimmy Mavronas passed away a few days ago.He was, according to my calculations, only 57. For those who didn't know him, Jimmy was a local DJ and musical figure. I first met him when he was DJ at the La Scala Club in Corfu town back in 1986. He resurfaced when he opened the Jazz Rock Club next to the Orfeas cinema. The Jazz rock club, quickly became a haven for live music in Corfu, even though it was quite small. For us who live here and were starved for some live music it was definitely THE place. Up until its opening, nothing much happened live music-wise except maybe for some concerts by local pub-rock band "The Busta-Waste Band". But we will get back to them another time.

The Jazz Rock club hosted, among others, Mode Plagal in 2002, Blue Bug in 2005 (I think...) Louisiana Red, Johnny Vavouras, Lakis me ta psila rever, and a host of local jazz and rock bands, including one of my old bands "The Savage Blues Band". A number of jam nights were held also. In this way Jimmy did a lot for the local live music scene. Unfortunately he also got himself in trouble with the law, and ended up doing a stint behind bars, which put an end to the Jazz Rock club era. When he was finally free again, he went back to DJing, both in bars and on radio, most notably last summer playing in the Tallio beach bar, on Chalikounas beach, where the kite surfers hang out.

I tried to find some video to go with this, and found a little something by the Blue Bug. They are a Greek blues band who I became very enthusiastic about after seeing them live at the Jazz Rock club. I even have an autographed cd by them... They re-visited Corfu, years later, again at the Jazz Rock, but this time didn't play so much blues as funk and disco. Nevertheless they remain a VERY good band, with a great vibe and a real feel for the music they play.

Here they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...