Sunday 6 December 2009

Today is Sunday...

When I was growing up, there was this show that aired every Sunday morning, on state TV, called "Simera ine Kyriaki" (Today is Sunday).It was a religious show, invariably with some priest or theologist, rattling on about the Greek Orthodox religion etc.
I never watched it. Unless maybe our Grandma happened to be visiting, and even then, she was more given to dragging us off to the church itself to have Communion...

Like most people of my generation, I never have had much time for the Church. I 'm not even sure what my beliefs are! But I'll generally accept the existence of a higher being (or beings...) as well as some lower ones too!

As regards practising religion, well, understandably, at a younger age, Tantra, with its hidden promise of endless sex seemed quite interesting...

Then one day I saw the "Blues Brothers" film. When it got to the scene where James Brown as crazy preacher sings a gospel song, it was a revelation! This was one church I could relate to! I had seen the light! Such a shame that something like that doesn't exist round my part of the world...
But anyway have a taste.





Now throughout my life i have made a habit of reading biographies of musicians, and other music-history related books. Right now, on this fine December Sunday morning, with the rest of the family still asleep and the breadmaker whirring away in the background, I am enjoying a coffee, and reading about the life of a man I admired, and whose biography has made me admire even more. Johnny Cash. He was a believer. He may have had his ups and downs, but he was one of music's true greats. How I would have loved to have met him...



They sang this together, and prophetically, she was the first one to go. This next song was his tribute to the love of his life, even though it was originally written with another kind of "Hurt"in mind. It just goes to show what an amazing artist he was, making every song he sang his own...



After that, what can i say?

I would just like to close by saying how amazing is it? All these people, most of whose lives were lived so far from us, whose names are so many that I dare not try to list them, but whose music and songs have been the soundtrack to so many of our lives, many of these artists where friends, or they became at some point in their lives. And these people have affected our lives in so many ways, sometimes good and maybe sometimes bad. But even after they have passed away their music lives on. In our hearts. In our minds. In the music we make as well. I thank God for them...

"what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way"

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...