Sunday 26 April 2009

The Strangeloves!

I was never very much of an Elvis Costello fan. It isn't that I didn't like him, but rather I didn't happen upon any of his stuff. I was too busy listening to other things. One notable exception was his song "Oliver's Army". This I had on a compilation tape given me by my best mate, Spiro. I liked that song, and in hindsight should have sought out more of his stuff. After all it was the 80s!!
Anyway it so happened that I was to hear many more of his songs and come to appreciate them and love them in another way...



A few years ago, I was playing in a band, with some friends. Part of our band (the more musically proficient part...) in cooperation with another musician friend set up another band on the side. We actually used to play together, as a sort of double act. We were the Blueshine Boys. They were the Strangeloves. The band members were Matt (guitar,percussion,lead vocals), David (Bass guitar, backing vocals) Raul (Rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals) and Akis (drums, percussion).



The Strangeloves were, in my opinion, the best local band ever. They played covers,which is how I got to hear a lot of Elvis Costello songs for the first time. Songs like "Watching the detectives", "Pump it up", "Lip Service" or "Radio, radio" I heard first from the Strangeloves and then much later the originals. But in any case I have to say that for me the Strangeloves OWNED those songs... (I've been remembering song titles for the last few minutes and the Strangeloves are beginning to look like a Costello tribute band ,I know...!)



They also played other covers too. "It's different for girls", "Here comes your man", "I got a line on you" and "Summer in the city" are a few I can remember. All played beautifully with gusto and flair. Matt excelled on vocals and rhythm guitar becoming very much the flamboyant frontman on stage. David and Raul joined in on harmonies and I always got this sense that this was what a band should sound like. Every time i listen to any of the above mentioned songs I can hear the Strangeloves in the back of my mind...



I do have some footage of the Strangeloves somewhere but until i edit it you must make do with some covers of the same songs by other people... or the originals!

As with most bands here, it seems, the success story was shortlived. I can't really tell if they burned out or they faded away, but it was good while it lasted. I was their friendly sound engineer there for a while, and it was a privilege...

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...