Thursday 14 January 2010

God bless left hand guitarists!

The left hand guitarist is a peculiar animal. Before he finds his way, he has to bugger about with the instrument he has fallen in love with, and decide how exactly he wants to go about it... Is he going to just play the damn thing upside down or will he change the strings? (requiring some adaptation of parts...) Alternatively he may buy a ready made lefty guitar, although he won't have as much choice or if he can afford it he'll get one custom made.

Some great left handed guitarists:

Jimi Hendrix (Need we say more?)



Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath



Albert King



Kurt Cobain



Paul Mc Cartney



Dick Dale



Of the above, Dick Dale may have been the weirdest. He played a lefty guitar with strings upside down!

I have a very good friend who is a very good left handed guitarist. We used to play together as well and he put me on to a number of very good bands and musicians I wasn't familiar with. Of these the one I must thnak him the most about was Freddie King. He may not have been a lefty guitarist but he wrote some of the best blues songs and left us way too early!

Here he is on Can't trust your neighbour with your baby... My absolute favorite line is where it says "my baby used to go over for salt, but I found out he was giving her sugar..."



On that note I bid you all good night...

see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

τώρα ίσως το βρείτε πιο εύκολο να σχολιάσετε...